I-10 Bridge over the Mississippi River
Location: East Baton Rouge Parish
Date Completed: 2011
On this project, Huval & Associates worked as a consultant to the construction company contracted by the LADOTD to carry out a bridge rehabilitation project. Our team provided project-related engineering services that enabled the construction company to complete the project in a safe manner.
The rehabilitation project called for the bridge’s through truss suspended span expansion joints to be replaced with a new configuration. All access to project work areas was to have minimal impact on traffic flow. Our team was given the task to create a scaffolding and work platform configuration that also enabled workers to operate self-sustained for long hours and in all weather conditions.
The Huval & Associates team designed scaffolding and work platforms that provided space for a material storage area, a field office, adequate working room, and access to all work areas. Due to the magnitude of these platforms the existing bridge was load checked for all added weight.
- Incorporating a deflection barrier on the outside curb of the bridge deck and bridge railing repair
- Repairing and spot painting of portions of the main truss and the approach superstructure and substructure
- Preparing joint sealing details to existing finger joints on the bridge where feasible
- Workers needed the ability to operate self-sustained for long hours and in all weather conditions
- All project-related engineering services were conceived with worker safety as a main consideration
- Scaffolding and work platforms designs provided space for a material storage area, a field office, adequate working room, and access to all work areas
- To ensure that the platforms did not exceed the bridge’s load limit the bridge was load checked for all added weight
At Huval & Associates, we believe that our people are our future. We are always on the lookout for employees who share our passion, innovation and commitment to providing clients with expert design and engineering services. Interested parties should forward a CV with the form below for consideration.