Ayreshire Drive Bridge Replacement
Location: Lafayette Parish
Date Completed: 2011
Huval & Associates was called on to perform an emergency bridge replacement for the Lafayette Consolidated Government. Following an inspection of the bridge superstructure and substructure by Huval & Associates, the Lafayette Consolidated Government closed the original bridge on Ayreshire Drive due to structural deficiencies. Our team recommended two repair options: rehabilitation of the piles (short term option) or replacement of the bridge structure (long term option). The Lafayette Consolidated Government chose to proceed with the replacement of the bridge structure and contracted Huval & Associates to provide preliminary plans, final plans and bridge construction support services.
The project encompassed the removal and replacement of an existing concrete slab span bridge on Ayreshire Drive in Lafayette. Huval & Associates provided a survey of the topographic features of the existing Ayreshire Drive Bridge site and bridge conditions as well as prepared plans and specifications that allowed for construction of a slab span concrete bridge utilizing pre-cast piles and deck and cast-in-place barriers and caps.
The Ayreshire Drive Bridge Replacement was an accelerated project that has been completed. The replacement bridge is now open to regular traffic.
- The project had an accelerated time frame.
- The specifications called for pour-in-place sidewalks on precast panel for bridge structures. We also had to design new pile alignments in order to avoid the previous bridge’s existing piles.
- In order to meet the accelerated time frame our team worked through Christmas to provide final plans 45 days from the Notice to Proceed date.
- We designed special exterior panels to accommodate the concrete sidewalks and barriers called for in the project’s specifications.
- To address the need to avoid the existing piles from the previous bridge we designed project-specific bent caps for non-standard pile spacing.
At Huval & Associates, we believe that our people are our future. We are always on the lookout for employees who share our passion, innovation and commitment to providing clients with expert design and engineering services. Interested parties should forward a CV with the form below for consideration.